Aashiqui 2 - Love Makes Life Live

I can't say I am a movie buff and yet every evening after the kids are in bed I like putting up my feet and switching on the TV. It could be anything from an old repeat flick to something new, having to do more with relaxing my mind, than wanting to catch up on anything particular. Most movies let you do that, they drone on and on till you are ready to to shut your eyes and sleep. I don't really mind those movies as they take me away from the daily pressure and routine, away from responsibilities, decision-making, basically away from the chaos of a normal family life.

But once in a while you happen to watch a movie that forces you to sit up and take notice, even when you are really tired. That happens when either the film is very well made with slick direction, close-to-life performances and lilting music, or sometimes when the subject of the film is too close to heart.

I wouldn't say that I had any expectations when I started watching Aashiqui 2. Living outside my home country I am always lagging by at least six-eight months in watching new Hindi movie releases and this movie was no exception. I was just generally browsing around online trying to decide what to watch when I chanced upon this movie and thought of giving it a try.



The movie starts off showing a roaring crowd awaiting their singing idol, a once famous singer Rahul (Aditya Roy Kapur) who is letting his quick fame and his alcohol addiction ruin his career. Barely a few minutes into the movie and a song was already threatening to start. I was all ready to forward it like I normally do but there was something in the music that grabbed my attention and before I knew it I was tapping my feet and shaking my head to Sunn raha hain tu. The voice of playback singer Ankit Tiwari did magic to the beautiful lyrics provided by Sandeep Nath. I was still humming that number when barely seven minutes later, the Shreya Ghosal's rendition of the same song in a different composition raised goose bumps!

Waqt bhi thehara hai, 
Kaise kyun ye huaa
Kaash tu aise aaye
Jaise koi duaa
Tu rooh ki raahat hai
Tu meri ibaadat hai........

There was no more convincing required after that as I sat up from my relaxed position, all alert, watching with full concentration. The plot moves on with the rock star giving his lonely heart to the singer girl Aarohi (Shraddha Kapoor) with the nightingale voice and helps her rise to fame and glory, without giving any thought to his own career. The storyline may not be the most original but where the plot slows down yet another song comes to its rescue. The film carries on from one scene to another and starts getting more intense as the two main characters fall slowly in love. Now this is where I can start feeling a real connect as my mind goes back to my own courtship days, to days of young love. 

I am a great believer in love. I feel that all those age-old quotes and sayings about love make sense and are all true. Love is blind, love at first sight, falling in love without knowing why or how. The world taking on colourful hues, the singing of birds, the rustling of leaves are all very much a part and parcel of this wonderful feeling called love without which life is incomplete. The sudden smiles, the skip in your step, the missing of the heart beat, the sudden tears are all real. As the movie continues, singers Arjit Singh and Palak Mucchal bring this fact to life with their song Tu hi yeh mujhko bata de chahun main ya na 

Mere chhote chhote khwaab hain
Khwaabon mein geet hain
Geeton mein zindagi hai
Chaahat hai, preet hai......

Shifting from puppy-love to an impassioned, heart wrenching romance, Aarohi's career continues to sky-rocket, while Rahul's career spirals downwards. The electricity between the two artists makes it completely believable that Aarohi wants to give up her rising career to be with Rahul who in turn tries to break the relationship to protect her from his alcoholism and failure. He later also tries to give up his alcoholic habits but fails miserably every time. The bond of true love still holds them together in the time of crisis. Tum hi ho depicts it perfectly with its mellifluous lyrics.  

Kyun ki tum hi ho, ab tum hi ho,
Zindegi ab tum hi ho
Chain bhi mera dard bhi
Meri aashiqui ab tum hi ho.


The clash continues bringing in different emotions from anger to pride to pain. In the end fame and glory do have a price to pay and one day Rahul in his drunken stupor ends his life with this heart wrenching song Bhula dena mujhe hain alvida tujhe bringing out the held back tears in the viewer's eyes. 



On the whole, Aashiqui 2 brings good old romance back into Hindi cinema - a feeling that is pure, selfless, intense and heart wrenching. A stimulating account with brilliant moments, outstanding performances, strong emotional quotient and addictive music, this one is a must-watch for romantics........ like me!


Want more? Read this post on one of my all-time favourite Hindi movies, Karz, a 1980 Hindi thriller starring Rishi Kapoor and Tina Munim.

Labels: ,