Changing priorities

What I considered crucial to my life a decade ago has just faded away somewhere. Often I ask myself do I know who I am or what I want --- the answer is always a "Sure I do" but that answer gets lost amongst the ifs and buts of life. When I was seven, my mother was the centre of my universe and I would do anything to be close to her, at 17 friends were all I cared about, I thought I knew it all and was ready to conquer the tallest mountain in the world not realising that I had no talent or training to do so. At 27, newly married, wanting to make it big in the corporate world and to please my newly acquired family I worked hard at work and home but still felt that something was missing. At 31, I quit my job to enjoy motherhood. It was a very tough decision to take and I was quite reluctant at first not knowing if I was doing the right thing, giving up all those precious years of education to be a stay-at-home mum and not sure about what kind of life was in store for me. But I did it anyway and now 6 years later, add one more child during that time, I think that it is the best decision I have ever taken. What I felt I was missing out on and was constantly in search for, the kind of supreme satisfaction that I had heard about, but never felt, was lying waiting for me so close to home. I am so glad I am doing what I am doing today.
"We often need to lose sight of our priorities in order to see them" - John Irving

Labels: